Fraudsters cold call you pretending to be from your bank or from the Police. They can claim there is an issue with your bank account, for example, or request your assistance with ongoing bank or Police investigation.
The ultimate aim of this call is to trick you into parting with your money either in person, online or in a bank, for example, asking you to pass on your personal information.
How to protect yourself
- Be wary of unsolicited phone calls particularly if they are requesting personal information
- End the call and call back on a different phone line or mobile. If this is not possible, wait a few minutes at least before calling back. Use the telephone number on your bank card or go the the bank website or for the Police, dial 101
- Speak to family and friends before carrying out any actions. Do not trust claims made by cold callers
- Never hand over your money, bank cards or make purchases following an unexpected call
- Never share your PIN with anyone
- Think – ‘how do I know they are who they say they are’!!
- Report all fraud to Action Fraud UK website or call 0300 123 2040