It was a welcome return to face to face meetings in June, albeit under continuing social distancing rules so we were in the main hall of the Victoria Rooms.
The meeting included the following business:
- Planning applications at Periwinkle Cottage and Bailiff’s Cottage were supported
- Terms of reference for the Council’s committees were approved
- Members were pleased welcome Mr Rod Burton who was co-opted on to the Council, bringing us back up to a full complement
- The Amenities Committee, which is overseeing the refurbishment of the toilets, had met recently to discuss the latest information provided by Crofts Surveyors. A further meeting was planned at which it was hoped final design would be agreed, enabling quotes for the work to be sought shortly thereafter
- A National Lottery grant had been secured pre-Covid to enable the refurbishment of Jubilee Gardens, the Council is to work with the Garden Club to effect the works, which are scheduled to be completed before September
- The rainwater harvesting project at the Allotments has begun with some material being delivered. This will make harvested rainwater available to all plot holders. The Council agreed that a further £300 would be made available from the Allotment funds to enable a fourth pod to be installed increasing the rainwater harvesting capacity from 6000 to 8000 litres
- A few matters re highways had been dealt through liaising with Somerset County Council, and the Council was pleased to hear that a meeting with an SCC representative had been arranged in early June at which some of the larger issues concerning traffic in Milverton are to be discussed
- SWT Councillor Gwil Wren reported on the recently announced result of the poll carried out throughout Somerset regarding the Unitary Council. The result being 65 per cent to 35 per cent in favour of the Stronger Somerset proposal. This is not binding and the decision by the central government will be made in early Summer 2021.
The next meeting will be held on Monday 5 July, again back at the Victoria Rooms, starting at 7pm.
If you have any queries on any Parish Council matter please let me know.