There was a full agenda at the December meeting which covered a wide range of village issues. A brief summary of the topics is as follows:
- It was agreed to support three planning applications, at Old Bartletts and & Woodbarton (both trees) and Weekmoor (building works)
- It was agreed to give a grant of £1,000 towards the proposed works on the internal toilets at the Recreation Ground
- The works on the replacement roof on the toilets in Creedwell Orchard will be commenced in early January 2022
- The posts for the Speed Indicator Devices have been ordered, though the site in Butts Way has not been finalised. It is still intended that delivery of the SIDs will be in February 2022.
- Somerset West and Taunton Council are proposing to change two litter bins in the village to a new design, which will incorporate recycling and also be able to take dog mess. The topic will be reviewed in 2022 as to whether more bins should be provided at the Parish Council’s cost
- The 2022 Parish Meeting is scheduled to be held on the evening of Wednesday 6 April. All village groups/bodies will be invited to have stalls to advertise themselves and more details will be forthcoming early in 2022
- Informal sessions for residents to meet/ask questions of Parish Councillors are proposed to be held covering specific areas of the village (including Preston Bowyer) in, hopefully, February/March 2022. Again more information will be provided in the New Year
- Ideas are to be sought on how the parish would like to celebrate the Jubilee in June. A number of events are under consideration but any thoughts welcome
- The Parish Council looked into the possibility of street lights being turned off overnight as an energy-saving and environmentally sound thing to do. I can provide details of SCC’s response to anyone interested but the short version is that SCC is currently changing all street lighting to low-energy LEDs, in addition, there are safety/security concerns of turning lights off and there would be an irrecoverable cost to the PC of over £6,000. The PCs conclusion was that no action be taken at this time
The existing vacancy on the Council is now not likely to be filled until May 2022. The announcement of Shadow elections for the new Unitary Authority being held at that time made it sensible to also hold all of Somerset’s Parish Council elections a year earlier than originally intended. Information will be provided nearer the time but if anyone is interested in standing as a Parish Councillor for Milverton, please contact either a current Councillor or the Clerk.
Full draft minutes of the meeting will be uploaded to the website shortly.
The next Council meeting will be held on Monday 10 January at the Victoria Rooms, starting at 7pm.
If you have any queries on any Parish Council matter please let me know.
Clerk to the Council
Phone 01823 432959 or email firstname.lastname@example.org