It was the start of the new term for Councillors following the (uncontested) election in May and this began with the Annual meeting, which goes through a number of procedural matters, during which Rod Burton and Anita Dakowski were elected as Chair and Vice Chair respectively.
- As only five Councillors stood for nomination, there are seven vacancies and it was pleasing to see a number of prospective Councillors attend to see what goes on
- There will be an extraordinary meeting on Monday 30 May, which will hopefully result in a number of people being co-opted, enabling the Council to be ready for normal business to resume with a full(er) Council in June
- An ordinary meeting was held immediately after the Annual one, which given the reduced numbers, was more reporting back than discussing action points but covered the following:
- It was agreed to support the planning applications, at Blackdown House (Listed Building works)
- The tender specification for the internal works at the toilets is very nearly approved, so this should be ready to be sent out to businesses in early June
- A new grit bin has been purchased and is now in situ at Courtfield
- A summary of required works is being agreed to tidy up the seating area in Parsonage Lane
- Delivery of the Speed Indicator Devices is imminent and these should be appearing on the newly installed posts around the parish shortly
- It was good to hear that the rainwater harvesting project has now been completed, which will be of great benefit for allotment plot-holders (all that is needed now is rain!)
- During the meeting, Mr Peter Baldry advised that he was stepping down as the Milverton Speedwatch coordinator and was warmly thanked for his many years (15+) service. The role has now been taken on by Lesley Westate
Full draft minutes of the meeting will be uploaded to the website shortly
The next Council meeting will be held on Monday 6 June at the Victoria Rooms, starting at 7pm.
If you have any queries on any Parish Council matter please let me know.