A summary of the meeting held in November 2022 is as follows:
- The Parish Council welcomed Katherine Botes and Callie Gauntlett who were co-opted at the meeting, this brings the Council back up to a full membership
- Following the recent flooding in and around Sand Street, the Council is to join a meeting with residents and SCC Highways to try to identify works that can be undertaken in order to prevent the situation recurring
- A planning application for a change of use and stabling on land at Station Road, was considered and it was resolved that unless and until further information and clarification was provided, the Council would not support it. There was a re-submitted application by Somerset County Council for advertising on the roundabout. It was
agreed that the previous comments submitted, objecting to the proposal, still stood
- The proposal for a 24-house development in Butts Way was considered following a site visit. It was noted this is allocated land under the Local Plan but there were a number of elements of the design which, it was concluded, meant the plans were objected to at this time
- It was noted the expected Solar Farm planning application at Preston Farm had been submitted but full details were not yet available. This will be considered at the December meeting
- There have been two recent local meetings regarding the working of Parish Councils in Somerset once the Unitary Authority comes into effect on 1 April 2023. The current position is however that many aspects are still unclear
- At the time of writing, work on the toilet should start on 17 October and last for approx 5 weeks. A contract for cleaning will be set up and options are being investigated
- Following complaints being received, a request is made for all residents to be mindful of pedestrian access when parking around the village, particularly in Fore Street. Similarly, the perennial issue of dog mess not being picked up by (some) dog owners was highlighted, so please can pet-owners make sure they’re not contributing to the problem
Full minutes will be posted on the Parish Council website. The next meeting will be held on Monday 7 November at the Victoria Rooms.
If you have any queries on any Parish Council matter, please contact Clerk to the Council.
The Parish Council will be considering grant requests over £200 at its December meeting. Applications can be made by village bodies or groups of individuals. A form is available from the Clerk email firstname.lastname@example.org and should be submitted by Friday 25 November. For information, grants of less than £200 can be sought at any time, again contact the Clerk for further information.