Milverton Big Jubilee Celebrations kick-off on Thursday 2 June until Sunday 5 June with fun and entertainment for all the family. Most events are free, but for those that are payable we’ve kept the price as low as possible to cover costs.
Come along and join in the walking Village Treasure Hunt, take lunch at the Methodist Chapel or admire the arts and crafts exhibition in the Victoria Rooms. There’s a family disco, barn dance, street food and music for the energetic. How about the window competition where there’s an opportunity to showcase your creative talents? You don’t need to stop at just a window, you can go the whole-hog and decorate your house and garden.
There’s the BIG Lunch at the Recreation Ground with a competition for the best decorated ‘tent’, a fun dog competition for your canine friends, AmDram entertainers, a daring slack rope performance and displays from our local groups and societies. Place your bid in the Auction of Promises and help commemorate the day with the ribbon-cutting ceremony and prize giving. Bring along a tasty picnic and don’t forget to dress-up in your 1950’s style.
A big ‘thank you’ to Milverton Sawmill who are the main sponsor for the whole weekend.
Take a look at what’s on offer:
Thursday 2 June
- 11am to 6pm – Made in Milverton exhibition at the Victoria Rooms. A display of arts and crafts by local artists. Tea, coffee and delicious cakes will be available from Victoria’s Cafe from 11am to 4pm. If you wish to exhibit, contact Sue Knowles on 01823 400609 or email email@example.com. Free to view event
- 2pm to 5pm – Village Treasure Hunt from the Victoria Rooms. A walking treasure hunt with photographs of features and buildings in the village, often taken in close-up, together with written clues. Winning entry scoops a £50 voucher from The Globe. Free to enter event
- 5pm onwards – Music and food at The Globe (street closure outside The Globe from 5pm). Kick back and enjoy the evening with a street BBQ, music and a Very British Quiz. Free entry. Bar open. Food and drink pay on the day
- Photographic pageant of the Queen’s previous jubilees, significant life event and celebrations curated by Bev Blackmore in the Main Hall at the Victoria Rooms on view from 2 June until 30 June. Free entry for all, times may vary
Friday 3 June
- 9am to 11.30am – visit the Community Cafe at the Methodist Chapel to build a Jubilee breakfast. Time slots are 9am to 9.45am, 9.45am to 10.30am or 10.30am to 11.30am. Contact Claire on 01823 401521 or 07852 218646. Pay on the day
- Watch the live streaming of the Service of Thanksgiving from St Paul’s Cathedral at St Michael’s Church. Time to be confirmed. Free entry
- 3pm onwards at the Recreation Ground for:
- 3pm to 5pm – Ernie’s Journey live performance and workshop. A family circus theatre adventure. Free event
- 5pm to 6pm – Skintight Samba live performance of rhythms from Brazil and Somerset. Free event
- 6pm to 8pm – Family disco. Free event Food and bar available. Pay on the day
- 7.30pm until late – Milverton Music presents the Silver Street Band and guests at the Victoria Rooms. Bring your own food and drink. Tickets £5. Proceeds from ticket sales go to Ukraine Appeal. Tickets in advance from firstname.lastname@example.org
Saturday 4 June
- 10am to 12 noon Community Market and Cafe at the Victoria Rooms with a 1950’s twist. There will be plenty of bunting, stallholders dressed in red, white and blue, 50s music playing in the background and even the opportunity to have your photo taken with the Queen! Free entry
- 10am onwards judging for the Wonderful Window Dressing Competition. Get creative and dress your windows, doors and garden features fit for a Queen! Get your competition entries into Katherine Botes at email@example.com or call/text on 07887 712223 with your name and address. Free to enter
- 3pm to 5pm Book your Community Cafe Ritz style tea at the Methodist Chapel. Put on your most glamorous 1950’s outfit and take afternoon tea in style. Limited number of tickets are £5 each. Call 01823 400858 to book your place at the table
- 7.30pm to 10.30pm Barn Dance with the Barnstormers Band with caller in the marquee at the Recreation Ground. Get your dancing shoes on (we recommend flats) and get ready for some twirling and whirling around the dance floor. Catering by Somerset Venison. Tickets £5 each, under 16’s free. Tickets on sale now from The Globe or Recreation Ground. Food payable on the evening. Recreation Ground bar open
Sunday 5 June at the Recreation Ground
Big Jubilee Lunch
- 11am onwards setting up your pitch at the Recreation Ground. Bring parasols, shelters, tents or gazebos dressed up to impress with bunting, flags and whatever else takes your fancy. Don’t forget to dress up in your 1950’s outfit and be ready to have some fun
- 1pm to 3pm judging for the Tent Competition. Free to enter
- The BIG Lunch!
- In your 1950’s dress
- Auction of Promises
- Amdram entertainment to amuse you
- Kwabana Lindsay, slack rope performance to amaze you
- 2pm to 5pm – Milverton Jubilee Fun Dog Show. With many classes to enter, which one will you choose? £2 per class for adult and £1 per class for children under 12 years. Prizes and Best in Show cup
- Catering by Elises Farm Field Kitchen
- All alcoholic and soft drinks should be purchased at the Pavillion
- Local groups and societies on display
- 5.15pm – Ribbon cutting ceremony for the Court Leet oak trees. Planting will take place later in the year
- 5.30pm – Prize Giving Ceremony (time is approximate)